For all Beaver, Cub and Scout Leaders
- 3.2 billion people (half of the world’s population) are at risk of malaria
- 198 million malaria cases and 584 thousand malaria deaths occur every year
- Most deaths occur among children
- In Africa a child dies every minute from malaria
- Sleeping under long-lasting insecticidal nets protects against malaria
- Nets cost £2-3 and are effective for 3-5 years
- Half the population of Africa is not protected by nets
Scouts Against Malaria (SAM) is a multi-county Scout initiative to raise money to purchase insecticide impregnated malaria nets for distribution in Africa. By raising money from the UK challenge badge scheme we can provide impregnated mosquito nets for distribution by African Scouts who will be trained to educate the local population in the correct use of the nets.
All Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers (even Leaders) can have the opportunity of earning the badge. Just visit http://www.scoutsagainstmalaria.org.uk/ to see the requirements or contact Peter Makewell at email@example.com for more information and leaflets.