The aim of this badge is for Beavers to understand why malaria is such a serious illness, what causes it and therefore how it can be prevented and to raise funds to provide impregnated mosquito nets for distribution by Scouts in countries affected by malaria. Instructions on how to submit the monies raised can be found here and ideas and photographs of colony activities can be sent to the webmaster.
Possible activities (you don’t need to do them all)
- Explain what malaria is and where it is common.
- Understand the debilitating effect of low levels of general health.
- Know what it does to a sufferer.
- Understand how it is spread.
- Explain why impregnated nets are beneficial. Look at a net and have its use explained.
- Raise money for nets.
- Learn a little about Scouting in Uganda/sub-Saharan Africa/any country where malaria is common.
Every individual who undertakes this badge should face a similar degree of challenge and as a result some activities may need to be adapted. It is completely acceptable to change some of the activities to allow individuals to access the badge (for example where there are special needs, cultural issues, or religious considerations to take into account) .
Guidance for Leaders:
Beavers who have obtained this badge may also have completed sections of these Awards/Activity Badges:
- My World Challenge Award sections 2 & 7
- International Activity Badge section 2
As well as the activities in the resources section, Programmes Online contains lots of activity ideas that you could use or adapt to deliver this badge.