The aim of this badge is for Scouts to understand why malaria is such a serious illness, what causes it and therefore how it can be prevented and to raise funds to provide impregnated mosquito nets for distribution by Scouts in countries affected by malaria. Instructions on how to submit the monies raised can be found here and ideas and photographs of troop activities can be sent to the webmaster.
Possible activities (you don’t need to do them all)
- Understand and be able to describe the illness, its causes, effects and common locations.
- Understand the debilitating effect of low levels of general health and a lack of clean drinking water on general health.
- Know how to recognise and initially treat an attack.
- Explain the life cycle of a mosquito.
- Understand how malaria is spread and explain how impregnated nets are beneficial.
- Describe ways to prevent stagnant water.
- Understand the implications of the cost of nets for poor families.
- Raise money for a net. (Link to fund-raising badge) This will probably involve some sort of presentation about malaria and this scheme, Scouts against Malaria.
- Learn about Scouting in Uganda/sub-Saharan Africa/any country where malaria is common.
Every individual who undertakes this badge should face a similar degree of challenge and as a result some activities may need to be adapted. It is completely acceptable to change some of the activities to allow individuals to access the badge (for example where there are special needs, cultural issues, or religious considerations to take into account) .
Guidance for Leaders:
Scouts who have obtained this activity badge may also have completed sections of these Awards/Activity Badges:
- World Challenge Award sections 2, 7, 8 & 9
- International part section 4
As well as the activities in the resources section, Programmes Online contains lots of activity ideas that you could use or adapt to deliver this badge.