The aim of this badge is for Scouts to understand why malaria is such a serious illness, what causes it and therefore how it can be prevented and to raise funds to provide impregnated mosquito nets for distribution by Scouts in countries affected by malaria. Instructions on how to submit the monies raised can be found here and ideas and photographs of unit activities can be sent to the webmaster.
Possible activities (you don’t need to do them all)
- Create a presentation or group activity to describe the cause and effects of malaria and use it when fund-raising.
- Understand the debilitating effect of low levels of general health.
- Problems caused by lack of clean drinking water.
- Be aware of the implications of malaria for sufferers of AIDS or other illnesses.
- Know how to recognise and initially treat an attack of malaria.
- Discuss the problems of affording drugs to avoid and/or treat the illness.
- Explain the life cycle of a mosquito.
- Describe ways to prevent stagnant water. (Link also to water projects.)
- Explain why impregnated nets are beneficial.
- Understand the implications of the cost of nets for poor families.
- Work out how best to source and distribute nets.
- Raise money for nets. (Link to fund-raising badge)
- Learn about Scouting in Uganda/sub-Saharan Africa/any country where malaria is common.
Every individual who undertakes this badge should face a similar degree of challenge and as a result some activities may need to be adapted. It is completely acceptable to change some of the activities to allow individuals to access the badge (for example where there are special needs, cultural issues, or religious considerations to take into account) .
Guidance for Leaders:
As well as the activities in the resources section, Programmes Online contains lots of activity ideas that you could use or adapt to deliver this badge.